Every so often I go on a Lord of the Rings binge. I watch all three extended editions in a matter of days, seriously contemplate putting "hobbit" under "race" on my driver's license, and have dreams about dating Sean Astin. Lately I have been on just such a binge. But this time I started reading the trilogy (I've only ever made it through Fellowship). I found this quote in the second chapter of the first book and it reminded me of home.
"I should like to save the Shire, if I could - though there have been times when I thought the inhabitants too stupid and dull for words, and have felt that an earthquake or an invasion of dragons might be good for them. But I don't feel like that now. I feel that as long as the Shire lies behind, safe and comfortable, I shall find wandering more bearable: I shall know that somewhere there is a firm foothold, even if my feet cannot stand there again."
I think anyone from a small town will understand this....nerdy as it is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Rings true Dory. Thanks
Post a Comment